Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
centering marks for holes -ie; cross-hairs (Read 2960 times)
Slug13
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

centering marks for holes -ie; cross-hairs
Jul 23rd, 2016 at 7:53pm

Hi
I'm new to the forum but can't find any prior reference to my question.
I often want to place a symbol to mark where holes will be drilled later. For now I have been using the  break-track X symbol which can be confusing.
It would be neat if a "place hole location" feature could be added.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: centering marks for holes -ie; cross-hairs
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 4:07am

Welcome to the forum Don!

When I need a special mark or symbol, I create a component to do the job. For example, the attached image shows a small cross placed at a drill point. The component uses a Custom Outline consisting of two lines with no pins. Once you have created one mark component, you can copy-paste it in the layout editor to create some more.

Special components are handy for marking non-electrical hardware details like drill holes, brackets, small heatsinks.

I think hole marks and similar would be best handled by a tool for drawing lines directly onto the board - but that is not coming any time soon.

Hole_Mark.png (0 KB | 218 )
Hole_Mark.png

Roger

IP Logged

Slug13
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 12:20am

Hi Roger, thank you for the reply.
As you can tell, i am a basic user of Veecad and don't use netlists from my schematic program. (Orcad)

In your respons, what you have shown as a small cross, is exactly what would satisfy me.
How can I get that into one of my .per files?

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 1:48pm

VeeCAD is standard CAD, so every component has an outline.

Step 1. Make your cross outline. Go Board -> Outlines and click the New button. Click the Custom radiobutton. Click the Edit button. Now draw your cross. The image below shows the cross in the custom outline editor. Close the window. Click the Rename button and enter "Cross" as the outline name. Click Close.

Step 2. Make a component that uses the cross outline. Gp Board -> Components and click the New button. Click the Rename button and enter "CRS" as the component name. Click the View Next button until you see the cross outline in the preview window. Click Close.

Look for your cross at the top left of your board. Select it with a left click. Go CONTROL-C CONTROL-V to copy-paste to make more cross components.

All of the above is quite a challenge when you are starting out. The VeeCAD help file has the Tutorials -> Outlines and Tutorials -> Components topics that take your through the steps with screenshots. Please post or email as you need.

Cross_Edit.png (0 KB | 205 )
Cross_Edit.png

Roger

IP Logged

Slug13
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 7:44pm

Hi Roger
Many thanks for the detailed instructions - perfect!!
I was not aware of the Tutorials in the help file as this doesn't show up when I click Help on my view of Veecad.
The check update says i have  the current update.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print