Send Topic Print
On Linux (Read 865 times)
Brian McG
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

On Linux
Aug 5th, 2016 at 3:40pm

Roger,
Just to add to your information, I am running VeeCAD on Linux using Wine with Centos 6.8. It is extremely solid and reliable.  Minor change is when resizing components is having to use 'shift' instead of 'alt' but I cannot see how that would give anyone a headache.

Regards
Brian.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Re: On Linux
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:52pm

Thanks for the report Brian.

Wine is magical these days. Lets me reach so many targets with fast native code.

I made a poor choice when I chose the ALT key, since it highlights the menus on Windows and has no effect on Wine. On the next release there will be no mention of ALT in the help file. At the moment you can press either ALT or SHIFT, though eventually I will remove the ALT response.

Roger

IP Logged

Paul Furze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 12:46pm

This topic needed a bump...for a few reasons.

a) I'm new here so thought I'd say hi

b) I've just installed VeeCad on Xubuntu 16 under wine.
so far it seems ace.
A small point... My project is now entering its Revision 3 development. We're now using an Arduino instead of discrete components and logic.
Having to re-draw the schematic in VeeCad libary components, is a pain, but so be it. Theres way less stuff now we're arduino based.

c) Roger,
You made a comment elsewhere about the number of users from windows machines far outstripping the linux users.
But I'd have a different view that I'd like to put forth...

My installation of VeeCad isnt on my main development machine.

Now, I should say, I'm a "windows free" Linux user at home and apart from 2 servers that we are in the process of changing over from win2008 everything is now Ubuntu/Debian/Xubuntu etc.

The reasons for the change are many, and its not always about 's or $'s. In fact I have quite a few bought Linux applications for specific tasks.

But.....one thing I'd say is that....
"A lot of Linux users do not like to use Wine"

Again, the linux community is full of reasons for and against it but I'm sort of on the fence.

To be totally honest, the change in our project from discrete to Arduino's meant a quick development cycle with possible changes which, as you're aware, is way simpler on stripboard than committing to PCB. Thus the search for an editor.

Reviews online and the recommendation of a few colleges for VeeCad meant I had to take a chance on Wine installation, thus using a trial machine.

Now my point is (finally), a version of VeeCad that runs natively on linux without wine would certainly have its followers. Again the, lets be honest here, "low cost" of VeeCad would, I certainly believe, make it attractive to a lot of people who currently have to use 'alternatives'

Anyway, thats my 0.02p comment and my 1st post done Smiley

Have fun
Paul

It'll work eventually. If it really doesn't, well you'll have lots of parts for the next project !

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 2:57pm

Hello Paul

Welcome to the forum! I appreciate hearing how you see VeeCAD from a Linux user's viewpoint. I have some Linux machines here, and I observe with sympathetic interest how things are turning out for desktop Linux.

You can rest easy about running VeeCAD under Wine. You read horror stories about people swapping DLLs and choosing the right Wine version to get a program running. VeeCAD is not like that - it uses only the core Windows API that is solidly implemented in Wine. I test VeeCAD under Wine and tweak VeeCAD if needed.

It turns out that targetting Windows is the only way to make a single native binary that will run on just about any platform released since 2003. I don't have the resources to develop, test, package and support binaries for the different distros and releases. If the Linux community has scruples about Wine, they could define a cross-distro time-invariant binary interface for developers to target!

Excellent first post, Paul. Maybe other Linux users would like to comment. OSX people too!

Roger

IP Logged

Paul Furze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 4:15pm

Roger,
I do understand about windows thing.
But Linux to me will be the future.
The desktops are now superb, the core is awesome and the development for embedded systems is just ace.
And the communities, for the most part, don't start with...
Please switch it off/then on and get credit card out whilst it reboots Smiley

Sorry, that sounds a little anti windows I guess.
I use windows at work and I judge its effectiveness these days by calls/week to the IT department Smiley
Incidentally that figure is averaging 2.3 at the moment Smiley

Right, on with the electronics...
I guess I'm glad Microsoft didn't patent electrons! Grin

Have Fun.

It'll work eventually. If it really doesn't, well you'll have lots of parts for the next project !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print