Send Topic Print
G Code generator (Read 158 times)
phaedrus
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

G Code generator
Feb 27th, 2017 at 6:34pm

Hello Roger,
Any plans to make a gcode generator for cutting tracks ?I think it will be a useful feature ,since low cost CNC machines from china are available.
Thomas

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Re: G Code generator
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:02pm

Hi Thomas,
I have written a Gcode generator of sorts to cut tracks from the breaks file. It is "sort of" because it creates a file which is read by d2nc which then outputs the Gcode.
I suppose that it could create Gcode directly but it would be a fair bit of work and it works for me the way it is. So I don't have any incentive to do it, and this is not a way to indirectly ask for money. I have retired and I have enough on my plate from other activities.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:00am

Hello Thomas and Hamilton

It's an interesting idea. Perhaps you can tell me more about routing the cuts:
  • Will a "standard" G-code file work for all or most systems, or would VeeCAD have to provide some configuration items?
  • What about the Z-axis? Do all machines have variable Z, or are some simply tool-up/tool-down?
  • I would appreciate seeing a typical G-code file for track cutting.
  • What reference location do you use for the cutter?
It's not just track cutting that interests me. Possibly VeeCAD could remove all unused copper and holes and generate a PCB in Gerber/Image/G-code format.

Roger

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 8:03pm

Hi Roger,
Gcode for this sort of cuts is universal. It is only when you start doing the esoteric arcs and suchlike that there can be differences.

The Z axis for all full mills or routers is in the same units as the other axes, a machine only giving up and down would be very limited. You might want to cut deeper to separate boards.

I will attach some files for examples. I have put them into 1 file as that is all that is allowed. I will send another message to be able to show a .png of the cuts.

The reference location is what you want but the bottom left is the easiest because it doesn't have any negative moves.

There are a number of programs which will mill circuits so it may not be necessary to generate full boards.

example.txt (4 KB | 15 )

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 8:04pm

2nd message to see .png file

testbreaks.png (10 KB | 6 )
testbreaks.png

IP Logged

phaedrus
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 8:39pm

Hi Roger,
VeeCAD has a lot of advantages when it comes to prototyping.Even with SMT ICs,you can mount them on a DIP converter board and work as if it is a DIP component.Somehow I find the track cutting is the most onerous part of the and a GCODE milling generator will be really fun to use.
Do consider if this is feasible and can be done.
Thomas

IP Logged

phaedrus
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 8:49pm

Hi Hamilton,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I was wondering if there is some method to make a dxf file of the cuts.There are quite a few dxf to gcode converters,which could probably be used,so that VeeCAD per se need not do the gcode generation.
Thomas

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:26am

Hi Thomas,
I don't know the structure of a DFX file. I could have created a G-code file from the dot per file. I just used D2nc because I had it and it will allow you to create arrays of your board.
Regards,
Hamilton

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:50am

I see there is some interest from users, and I would like to proceed with adding G-code output to VeeCAD. I don't see any major problems. Hamilton, would you be so kind as to email me a .per file and corresponding G-code? We might need a couple of iterations before everyone is happy, but I'm sure we can get it done.

Roger

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 10:48am

Hi Roger,
I will send them privately with my source code. It may be helpful.
Hamilton

IP Logged

phaedrus
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:26pm

Roger,Hamilton:
Thanks for the enthusiasm and interest.I have a feeling this will be a very useful feature.
Eagerly waiting for the new release!
Cheers
Thomas

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 2:10am

I will include this in the next release. Hopefully a few weeks. Excellent discussion, all.

Roger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print