Send Topic Print
Perfboard (Read 5122 times)
Anding
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Perfboard
May 12th, 2007 at 9:08am

Roger,

How about doing a favor for all those folks in the US and Japan who haven't discovered the magic of stripboard and are still building with perfboard (can't stand the thing myself  Smiley....)   I know VeeCAD is explicitly written for stripboard, but one way to think about perfboard is simply stripboard with shifted breaks between every hole!  With that in mind, maybe it wouldn't be so hard to extend? (Of course the graphics would have to look a bit different  Wink

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: Perfboard
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2007 at 12:30pm

Perfboard makes compact layouts, but I'm not a fan of tacking those wires on the back.  However, you can modify a Perfboard layout without cutting more breaks.

If you do a VeeCAD layout, you can build it on Perfboard.   Links and components can be placed on the front as usual.  After building, run a wire horizontally along section of strip on the back of the board.  I might make a note of this in the VeeCAD help file.

Perfboard users make some amazing layouts with tightly packed components and wires on the back forming intricate patterns.  Those wire patterns would be great to generate with an autorouter.  The editor would show an array of squares, with the underneath wire pattern showing through.  It could check connectivity and trace nets just like VeeCAD does now.  Its a fascinating project.  If I don't get around to it in the next 12 years, I'll be retired and can do it then, if we can still buy Perfboard and leaded components!

Another idea is VeeCAD for surface mounted parts.  I reckon a year of deep thought might come up with a board system which would take SMD parts.

Roger

IP Logged

rawebb
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 6:32pm

This is probably old news to Anding (and others) but just in case ... Futurlec has a couple of nice-sized stripboards for a reasonable price. Many other gizmos for hobbiests and prototype builders, as well.

http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml

#include <std_disclaimer> Just an occasional (and satisfied) Futurlec customer.

IP Logged

Anding
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 2:01pm

Thanks for the tip!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print