Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Invalid pin number "V+" in pin to net assignment (Read 5674 times)
The Touch
Ex Member

Invalid pin number "V+" in pin to net assignment
Sep 24th, 2007 at 1:52pm

Hi, I'm trying to use a circuit someone else designed for me, keep in mind this is the first time I've used Eagle or VeeCAD ( Which does just what I was looking for)

The original design is here

I copied the design in Eagle and generated a netlist.

however I get the following error

"Invalid pin number "V+" in pin to net assignment on line 157"

I doesnt like the PPM signal Input

The netlist and other files are available here

http://www.rpvproject.net/Schematic%201.zip

Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: Invalid pin number "V+" in pin to net assignme
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 1:19am

Welcome to the forum!

VeeCAD has found a pin identified as "V+" and it is complaining that this does not convert to a number.   In other words, "1" or "34" etc are OK as pin identifiers.

This means you will have to change your pin identifiers in Eagle, to use numbers only.  Unfortunately, Eagle libraries tend to not use numbers, so you may have to edit your favourite parts in Eagle.  This is annoying for you!

VeeCAD uses only numbers for good reasons.  In the attached picture, you see two DIP-8 parts.  Notice that only the pin numbers are common - the pin usage is different.  If you use pin numbers, you only need one of every package shape ("outline") in VeeCAD.  If you use pin names, you need a new DIP-8 in VeeCAD for every different part type.  So pin numbers save you a lot of work in VeeCAD.

The real problem is that the CAD world is in a mess.  In my job, when I open a typical CAD project, I find a mix of pin names and numbers.  This means many packages get defined multiple times on the one PCB and each package can be drawn differently!  It is only when you go to pin numbers that you can have a single company standard drawing for each package.

PinNumbers.png (4 KB | )
PinNumbers.png

Roger

IP Logged

The Touch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 9:53am

Thats a shame, unfortubately at this rate it would have been faster for me just to figure out the layout on the fly.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:46am

If you only make a small layout every couple of years, VeeCAD is not worth the trouble.

The VeeCAD setup time is repaid if you have a long term interest in electronics and will make a number of projects over the years.  Once your schematic and VeeCAD libraries are stable, you can produce simple layouts in minutes and complex layouts in hours rather than days.

Roger

IP Logged

The Touch
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 11:40am

Please don't take that as a detraction of VeeCAD, if Eagle wasn't so much of a pain I'm sure I'd be singing it's praises.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print