Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Print Dialog (Read 3663 times)
astra194
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Print Dialog
Mar 3rd, 2008 at 6:09pm

1) Thanks for making a free product. We like free! For a one-off, unlikely-to-become-a-hobby project, free is the correct price.
2) A couple of things had me really confused at first.
2a) All my component started in a jumble at the bottom of the grid, not the top as the walkthrough says. Unfortunately, the window was small enough that I had to scroll down to see them. When I couldn't see them, I thought there was something wrong and restarted the program several times before I thought to scroll down. Maybe you could amend the text in the walkthrough.
2b) It took a while for the penny to drop and realise that the pin numbers on the component outlines had to match those on the symbols in TinyCAD, especially since those pin numbers are not terribly visible in TinyCAD. You have mentioned this, so this is entirely my stupidity.
3) What I really wanted to say: On the Print dialog, there are three buttons, OK, Cancel and Print. What does OK do? I thought printing wasn't working because I kept pressing OK without really looking at the dialog. It seems to me that OK and Cancel are the same thing and what you really want is just two buttons, Print and Cancel.
4) Apologies if it seems like I'm complaining, what with it being free and all. I'm not complaining, just making what I hope is a helpful suggestion.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: Print Dialog
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 8:59am

Hello, I appreciate the feedback!

I want the free version to be usable, for students and casual users who aren't going to purchase.

You have taken on the complexity of TinyCAD and VeeCAD and succeeded - not bad for a one-off user! 

When you had trouble finding your newly imported components - were you looking in the "Netlist Import" tutorial in the Help File?  I can improve that section.

The Print dialog is clumsy - it catches me out too.  Time for a rethink.

Roger

IP Logged

astra194
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Re: Print Dialog
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:16pm

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I tackled TinyCAD and VeeCAD together for a project containing only nine component (a fan controller). As I expected, it probably took longer to get a first layout than if I had just used pencil and paper, but after I had that layout, it was much easier to play with it. That's all I wanted VeeCAD to do, but it turned out the best feature by far is the Draw Net Errors button. It wa very comforting to have all those little red blobs go away. Even better, I now have a server sitting behind me that doesn't drive me to distraction with its racket.
Yes, I was looking in the Netlist Import tutorial. Now that I look again, I can see that the components are indeed shown at the bottom of the grid, so maybe all that is needed is a sentence to say that.
Once again, thanks. A very useful help to a Sunday's tinkering. Now all I need is to grow an extra pair of hands so I can solder better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print