Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Enhancements (Read 5241 times)
Iain

Your message here...

Guildford, Surrey, England
Enhancements
Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:28pm

I've been using VeeCAD for a medium sized board and have a few requests that would make my life easier

• Ability to move component labels more precisely. The 0.1" grid is too coarse
  • I agree with the previous poster that the OK button on the print dialog is confusing. Can you move the Print button to where the OK button is and remove the OK button?
  • It would be really useful if the filename was printed out on the printout. Really useful when you have different revisions of the same layout

BTW this is a GREAT piece of software. I'd have been lost without it

IP Logged

Iain

Your message here...

Re: Enhancements
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:31pm

Forgot to mention in the previous list

Could you add a redraw button?

When dragging around the screen often gets confusing with bits left behind. I couldn't find a redraw button and was either zooming in and out or switching from names to component values and back again to refresh the screen.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 4:38am

I too feel the need for these improvements! (except for the redraw).  I am building important new stuff at present, but eventually these should come.

While a redraw button fixes the graphic debris problem, I want to remove the underlying problem, which is that certain component(s) are not fully erased during moves.  I don't really see that problem on my screen, so can you tell me which components are leaving pixels behind?

Roger

IP Logged

Iain

Your message here...

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 7:14am

It's the component labels that are causing the problems. However only parts of the labels are being left behind. Next time I'm playing with it I'll try to find out more

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:27am

Ah, now I see!

Because of the large amount of work required, I omitted text length calculations and assumed a fixed 8 cells maximum text length.  Any excess portions are "left behind" when you move a component.

You are the first user to report hitting the text length limit!  I do want to add the length calculation code, but I have been busy on other important parts of VeeCAD.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but for now, perhaps you can shorten component designators a little.

Roger

IP Logged

Iain

Your message here...

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 4:30pm

I'll just continue zooming in and out. Hopefully it won't be too long before it's fixed

IP Logged

ChH
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Hello,

Still working with VeeCad which is one of my main tool in my toolbox!  Smiley

Would it be possible in the future to have the capability to add some textual information anywhere on th board?
This would permit to document this board (like board's name, version, comments, etc...)

Woudl it be possible too, to have a color printing capability?

Regards
Christian - Grenoble

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 12:40am

Hello Christian

Good to hear from you after a long time!

At present I am building a new kind of Outline which is user definable with a mini drawing editor.  This is a big job and is months off completion.  After that, I would like to add some of the features users have suggested, including board text, but don't take this as a firm commitment.

Color printing is not a priority.  I don't own a color printer and many businesses do not have one.  There are complications, because color varies on each printer, so colors have to be user adjustable.

Roger

IP Logged

ChH
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 6:00am

Hello Roger,

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm not so impatient Smiley
In the meantime I'll use the Copy Graphic function to dump board to Paint (!) both to get colors and to add text.
I let you work, eager to see next version.

BTW. When one check update from VeeCad, the Web site is saying." You've a NEWER version...". Is that on purpose?

Regards

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 8:18am

All is OK.  At the moment, users have newer software than the website download because they got a special download link in their registration key email.

"Check for Update" will tell you as soon as there is something for you to download.

Roger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print