Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Space characters in netlist (Read 4314 times)
madox
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Space characters in netlist
Aug 27th, 2008 at 10:13am

Hi everyone,

Today I have used VeeCAD for the first time, and thought I would share a small probelm (not a bug) I encountered.

I am using TinyCAD, with Roger's VeeCAD library, plus a few outlines and schematic symbols of my own.

When I generated my netlist, it looked fine (I am used to using Protel). However, importing into VeeCAD returned an error:

"Protel netlist error: Net N000000 on line 295 requires component Q1  but component not defined."

I could see that the component was defined in the netlist. However, when checking back with my schematic, I noticed that I had accidentally placed a space character after the component name:

"Q1 " instead of "Q1" (without the quotation marks, of course)

Hope that helps anyone else who may encounter similar mistake. Apparently the space causes an issue with either TinyCAD or VeeCAD, though I haven't bothered to investigate exactly what was happening.

-madox

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: Space characters in netlist
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Hi Madox

Thanks for the report.

I'll find the cause of this problem and include a fix in the next release.

Roger

IP Logged

madox
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:10am

Roger Lascelles wrote on Aug 27th, 2008 at 1:58pm:
Hi Madox

Thanks for the report.

I'll find the cause of this problem and include a fix in the next release.

Hi Roger,

Sounds good. I'm not sure that the problem is actually with VeeCAD though. It might be an issue with the netlist generation in TinyCAD. I guess the ideal case would be for TinyCAD to return an error when Parsing any space characters in component/net names.

Maybe you could just have warning included when VeeCAD returns the error message. Just a thought.

Cheers Roger,

madox

-edit: My habit from using other schematic/layout editors, is to use the space bar to rotate the symbol/footprint; in TinyCAD this will sometimes insert a space character in the part designator, if that text has just been edited. I caught myself doing this a couple of times
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:54am by madox »  

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 5:44am

Some schematic editors add extra space characters in the Protel format, so VeeCAD is supposed to trim away the leading and trailing spaces.  However, it is trimming the Designator (Q1) but not the netlist reference (Q1 ), so it can't find a match.  If I change VeeCAD to trim both, your netlist will import correctly.

CAD - you gotta love it.

Roger

IP Logged

madox
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:39am

Roger Lascelles wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 5:44am:
If I change VeeCAD to trim both, your netlist will import correctly.

CAD - you gotta love it.

Thanks Roger.

btw, I have recently used VeeCAD to design some nice and small buffer amps, for picking off signals from vehicle sensors. It proved very handy while reducing my layout size, and now I can hand the drawings off to someone else for construction. Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print