Observations and Tips (Read 3849 times)
DaveJS
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Wales UK
Observations and Tips
Sep 22nd, 2008 at 11:07pm

Hello Roger,

I've been using VeeCad for about 6 months, in a number of designs, and now regard it as an essential tool in my "toolbox". Simple to use and does the job well - the best sort of software!

Having used it extensively I'd like to make a few of observations and offer a couple of tips that I've found useful.

First the observations :-

1) Having the links default to red is not good as they don't change colour when selected (changing the "Pin" colour is a work-around).

2) If an item is selected and then say moved then another item is selected the original item is auto-deselected (the desired effect) but if a group is selected, without first clicking on an empty part of the board to deselect the original item it becomes part of the selected group (i.e. no auto-deselection takes place). If not noticed this can lead to some strange net faults after moving the group!

3) The redundant "OK" print button - I know it's been mentioned before but it catches me time after time (sorry senior moments!).

4) Again something mentioned before - Hotkeys would be a boon.

And the tips (I expect they've been suggested before but if they have as I've found them useful I think they are worth repeating) :-

1) Initially make the size of the board much bigger than required to enable storage of components at the bottom of the board whilst working - putting breaks between components will ensure that the "rats-nest" works right from the start.

2) Use 1 to 1 front and rear prints as pseudo silk screens to save endless hole counting and to reduce errors. I tape the rear printout to the board and make the drill marks through the crosses then remove the printout. For the front I glue the printout to the board using Prit Stick and, when dry, punch through each of the component pin holes with a panel pin. This makes component and, particularly, link mounting fast and easy; also the finished board looks much better than plain stripboard.A note of caution, however, paper will absorb moisture which may not make this technique suitable for all circuits - mine have all been fairly low impedence and operating below 20MHz and I've not had any problems (RH here in Spain is often above 60%).

Regards

Dave

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: Observations and Tips
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:32am

Hello Dave

Thanks for the comments and tips.

Can you explain about the links defaulting to red? On my PC, I don't see red links unless I click them to select.

I can alter VeeCAD so additive group selections only occur if you hold down the CTRL key while dragging out the selection rectangle.  I'll try it here.

Ok, I'll look into hotkeys.  At the moment, ESC and F2 are the only hotkeys.  Would function keys (F2..F12) be acceptable as hot keys?

Next release will have different Print buttons text and positions.  I'm hoping that will help.  "OK" really means "save my settings, but don't print".  If that still annoys, I'll remove that button and always save changes even if the user does not print.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:09am by Roger Lascelles »  

Roger

IP Logged

DaveJS
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Wales UK
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:48pm

Hello again Roger,

Thanks for your reply.

With regard to the links - mine were always red (I think that the colour scheme that ran from day one was Parchment) and it was only when I discovered that the links took on the same colour as the pins that I made the change to black.

I like the sound of the additive selection procedure.

F2 to F12 would be fine - anything that forms a row for us "key peckers" (rather than typists) would be good!

Yes, I don't think many would miss the OK key. I think it is rare to go to the print routine just to do a setup and not print.

Thanks for being so positive.

Best regards,
Dave

PS Is Oz now the center of the Electronics Hobby world? I buy most of my components from Futurelec. When I visit my daughter in Sydney I am amazed that you have Tandy and Diick Smiths (and their spin offs) in the main shopping malls and Jaycar in good locations too. Silicon Chip magazine now seems to be one of the world leaders (the UK EPE magazine articles are frequently just a reprint from SC). Plus of course some great software.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 4:02am

So in next release -

- configurable hot keys 0..9, A..Z, F2..F12 for Select/Break/Link/Wire Modes and Screen redraw.

- Ctrl-drag for combined group selections

- No Print save settings button - just Print and Close buttons.

Probably several weeks before the next release.

Roger

IP Logged

DaveJS
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Wales UK
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:04am

Magic!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print