Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VeeCAD with TinyCAD - am I missing a step? (Read 9378 times)
James Pattinson
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

VeeCAD with TinyCAD - am I missing a step?
Jan 30th, 2012 at 2:31pm

Hi Board

I am new to VeeCAD and will mostly want to get the full version as it looks like it should be able to do what I need.

However - I seem to be having a fair few problems getting components imported into VeeCAD from TinyCAD.

I have imported all the VeeCAD libraries into TinyCAD so I get all the V_ libraries and can choose components from them.

That said, a lot of the components I choose don't import well into VeeCAD. I get errors saying that the component has no pins, and it is displayed as a generic U shape component. Also net list errors don't show.

An example of a component that doesn't work is the Crystal in V_Passive and the Capacitor in V_Passive.

How can I correct these issues in either TinyCAD or VeeCAD and am I missing something fundamental?

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Re: VeeCAD with TinyCAD - am I missing a step?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 1:01am

Welcome to the forum, James.

In TinyCAD, click one of the symbols in your schematic that comes out as a "U" shape in VeeCAD. Now check the Package attribute in the Tool window. That value must match one of the outline names in the VeeCAD library files. Here are some reasons why the Package attribute does not match:
  • The TinyCAD library part has a blank Package value, because it is a generic part - like a capacitor, that can have 100s of different possible packages. You will have to fill in the package value. You might like to print out the very useful V-Standard.per library, so you can easily pick the outlines you need.
  • The package value refers to a non-existant outline, or has a typo.
  • VeeCAD is not searching all the outline libraries. In VeeCAD, go "Netlist | Import", click "Add" and select every single library file. Place a check beside every file in the list.
Specifically,
  • The capacitor symbol you mention is generic and you must provide a package value.
  • The crystal will import if you change the package to "HC49" instead of "HC49U". Apologies for that one.
Hope that gets you going. Do post again as needed.

Roger

IP Logged

James Pattinson
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:46pm

Hi Roger

Thanks for the informative response, I will give this a go today. I'd not checked the forum until today as I though't I'd get a reply notification Smiley

Do you have an outline for a tactile switch, TACT_01? I can't see it in the libraries Sad

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:30am

Hello James

Attached is a VeeCAD project containing a TACT switch outline. Copy-paste into your project and you can use that outline. I will include the TACT outline in the next VeeCAD release.

Do post again as needed.

Tact_Switch.zip (0 KB | 292 )

Roger

IP Logged

Iain

Your message here...

Guildford, Surrey, England
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 1:59pm

James Pattinson wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:46pm:
Hi Roger

Thanks for the informative response, I will give this a go today. I'd not checked the forum until today as I though't I'd get a reply notification Smiley

I suspect you forgot to check the box at the bottom of the post. Email notifications do work on this board.

Iain

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print