IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Re: Simple Automation
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 3:43pm

Hi Jack,
What I usually do is to mark with a fine felt tip every 5 holes and a slightly longer one every 10 on the board. This reduces the amount of counting. You could even divide the board into 5 hole squares if you want. What some people do is to stick a label on the edge of the board with the markings on it. Another way is to print the layout full size, cut it out and then stick it to the board and put the component wires through the paper at the right place. You can (or not) then tear away the paper.
I too asked about starting at 0/1 and got more or less the same answer. As a programmer in C all arrays start at 0 and rulers too when you think about it also start at 0. If you want to continue starting at 1 then count the gaps between the holes   Cheesy.
Hamilton

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #17 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:05pm

HELLI wrote on Sep 20th, 2013 at 10:51am:
Hi Jack,
The min board size can be set as low as you want BUT it must be done before you put components on the board.

That's a cute bandaid but my problem is that I want to see the limits of the board as I am working it out.  The best I  have come up with is a few wire boxes along the edges.

As a beginner, there are a few other things that I would find helpful.

1.  It would be nice if there was some id on the print out like; name, version, file name, etc.

2.  When several programs are open, there is no way of knowing what they are.  They all are called "Stripboard Editor"  and I have to open each one to see which is the working file and which are just library pages.

Other than that, I love it.

js

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:22pm

Thanks for pointing out that multiple VeeCAD instances have the same Taskbar text, and when you go Alt-TAB to switch programs. I'll have it fixed in the next release.

You can use placeable text to show the project name or file name or version number.

Below is an example of board rulers.

BoardRulers_002.png (54 KB | 359 )
BoardRulers_002.png

Roger

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #19 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 5:08pm

Hi Jack,
How do you know the exact size of the board BEFORE you lay it out? Huh
Hamilton

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #20 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 7:39pm

HELLI wrote on Sep 20th, 2013 at 5:08pm:
Hi Jack,
How do you know the exact size of the board BEFORE you lay it out? Huh
Hamilton

I buy a bunch of boards on Ebay and make my projects fit.  I just  ordered some bigger boards for bigger projects.

js

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 7:46pm

Roger Lascelles wrote on Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:22pm:
Thanks for pointing out that multiple VeeCAD instances have the same Taskbar text, and when you go Alt-TAB to switch programs. I'll have it fixed in the next release.

That was easy.  How about the hole numbers on the layout?

>You can use placeable text to show the project name or file name or version number.

Haven't found that yet.  How does one do that?

>Below is an example of board rulers.

I thought you were talking about some program feature.

js

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #22 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 2:52am

Placeable text, net tracing and auto-routing are the big omissions from the free version.

Can you explain what you mean by "hole numbers on the layout".

Roger

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 3:54pm

Roger Lascelles wrote on Sep 21st, 2013 at 2:52am:
Placeable text, net tracing and auto-routing are the big omissions from the free version.

Can you explain what you mean by "hole numbers on the layout".

In this case, I am referring to something like what one sees on a print out, viz.,
0 through n, locations visible on the computer display while one is laying out.

BTW, I forgot that this  was a free version so I  guess I should purchase before complaining.

js

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 6:18am

One more idea occurs to me.  Once one has a strip board layout that works, it would be neat if one could remove all the junk and just leave what is  needed for artwork to etch another board or two.

Is there any such program out there?

js

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #25 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:39am

PAID VERSION: I learn from and assist all VeeCAD users, free or paid.

RULERS ON DISPLAY: There is an X,Y display in the status bar which I find to be all I need. See picture. Optional rulers are on my long list of things to do, but other changes take priority.

MAKE A PCB FROM VEECAD : I too dream of such a thing, but that is some time off, if ever.  At the moment, all I can offer is the ability to use the same schematic to make PCB and Stripboard layouts. To do that, your VeeCAD outline library must match your PCB program outline library. If you want ready-to-run matching libraries, use Seetrax XL Designer or DesignSpark PCB - VeeCAD installs matching libraries at C:\Program Files\VeeCAD\Library\ in the XLDesigner and DesignSpark folders. Otherwise, you can adapt VeeCAD libraries to match any PCB program.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:26pm by Roger Lascelles »  

CoordDisplay.png (0 KB | 318 )
CoordDisplay.png

Roger

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 3:31pm

Roger Lascelles wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 8:39am:
PAID VERSION: I learn from and assist all VeeCAD users, free or paid.

RULERS ON DISPLAY: There is an X,Y display in the status bar which I find to be all I need. See picture.

Don't see a picture but I see the x,y now.  That is perfect and all I need.

Thanks,

js

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #27 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 5:53pm

Here is another question that comes to mind.

I tried making a normal pcb layout of a project already working on Strip Board and gave up in disgust.  I am not very good at this but it seems like, although strip board may require more board space, it may actually require fewer jumpers than a single sided PCB.

Maybe lots less. 

Any thoughts?

js

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #28 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 3:26am

Hello Jack

Since stripboard is in effect a single sided PCB with parallel tracks, your single sided PCB shouldn't need more links than stripboard.

Some circuits or portions of circuits are a planar graph - ie. can be connected on single sided board without any crossovers, provided you snake the tracks in between pins in the right way.

The concept of the planar graph is useful. By looping a track by a different path, you can often eliminate a link. Let's say you find a track gets in the way of another track. Instead of making a link, follow the blocking track until it terminates at a pin. Go around that pin and now you are on the other side of the blocking track. Don't overdo it or your board will be a swirl of tracks. Also, fast logic or high frequency circuits don't like long snakey grounds.

Don't plonk down your components and try to connect them with tracks. Instead, move the components around, particularly resistors and capactitors, just like you do in VeeCAD.

Finally, there is a good chance your VeeCAD layouts can be more compact. If you email me your layouts I will try to compact them and send them back. Also, since you don't have the full version Net Trace feature, you will have to work harder to make compact layouts.

Roger

IP Logged

Jack Schmidling
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #29 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 8:49pm

I will ponder the planar graph thing but this is actually a little embarrassing.  I dug in my heels and laid out the project for PCB and ended up with only 2 jumpers after a few hours of fiddling.

My strip board version is attached and as you can see there are about 20 jumpers on it.
It is up and running but  I am sure this are a lot of things you could do better so if you are up to the challenge, have at it.

I am going to do it over and rotate the display 180 as it would fit right over the parts on the board.  This did not occur to me when laying it out.

The schematic is at....

http://embedded-lab.com/blog/?p=1378

Thanks for your help,

Jack

Hmmmmm   I can't find the attach button.

js

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print