Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VeeCad crashed and projects now corrupted (FIXED) (Read 5715 times)
devaski
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

VeeCad crashed and projects now corrupted (FIXED)
Nov 26th, 2013 at 7:39pm

I was placing some breaks on the board to create a fake outline (would be a good feature request to be able to define custom board shapes in the future) and I clicked close to the left edge of the window and got these errors. I tried closing them to continue with my project but they would keep popping up and prevent from doing anything else with veecad. I had to force close the program and now when I try to open the same project it gives the same error with a frozen project.

I can confirm this is repeatable with other projects by clicking right at the left edge of the window as well and they all end up corrupted. I can also upload a hijackthis log to verify my computer is not to blame.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2013 at 10:45am by Roger Lascelles »  

veecad_errors.jpg (46 KB | 327 )
veecad_errors.jpg

IP Logged

devaski
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Re: VeeCad crashed and projects now corrupted
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 7:40pm

Here is the log file

hijackthislog.txt (15 KB | 343 )

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 4:29am

Welcome to the forum, Devaski

Thanks for the error report. I can reproduce the fault here - if I select Break Track mode, and click on the leftmost board pixel (right next to the window border), I get an exception message.

I plan to fix this by:
  • Fixing the Place Break code so the error does not occur.
  • Adding code to shut down VeeCAD after displaying any error message. This will prevent saving a file once VeeCAD is compromised by an error.
It will be a few days before I can release a fix, so in the meantime, if you get an error message, please shut down VeeCAD without saving your project.

Roger

IP Logged

devaski
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 5:55pm

Thanks for the update! Good news is that after playing around with opening up the projects after while is that I was able to see my last saved layout and copied it over to a new project without errors.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 3:07am

I am glad to hear that you rescued your work. This is a good moment to mention data protection to all our readers.

Our CAD documents contain:
  • a record of our knowledge and experience
  • a record of known good circuits
  • useful starting points for improved or variant designs
  • circuit portions we can borrow for other projects
  • microprocessor code that took hours to write and debug
So keep your designs safe. Some tips:
  • Keep each project in a separate folder. You can zip the folder and get the entire project - notes files, schematic, board and code.
  • Get TWO USB hard drives and use them alternately to backup all your documents, emails. Remember, your computer might be dead tomorrow. I like SyncBackFree - http://www.2brightsparks.com/ - because your backup is easily verified and you can easily restore any file or all files.
  • If you write serious code or do serious design work, get a VCS - version control system. I use Subversion via TortoiseSVN but others include Mercurial and Git. Lets you extract earlier versions of the project, recover from hard to find bugs, document your work. Many advantages you don't get from an ordinary backup.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2013 at 4:21am by Roger Lascelles »  

Roger

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

FIXED - Re: VeeCad crashed and projects now corrup
Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 10:25am

Version 2.32.0.0  fixes this.
  • Place Break bug fixed.
  • New error system added to stop VeeCAD continuing after an access violation or other serious error.

Roger

IP Logged

dcb
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

sk23
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 5:21pm

Roger Lascelles wrote on Nov 29th, 2013 at 3:07am:
ISo keep your designs safe. Some tips:

Store important stuff on The Cloud.  I have used Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) ; for several years now and it has saved me some embarrassment from time to time.   It retains older versions of each file which can be very useful.   The first 2GBytes are free and 100GB costs  $10 a month.   Another advantage of Cloud storage is that you can work on the same files from different computers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print