Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TinyCad - V_Battery: import doesn't show pin nums (Read 4834 times)
BBQ
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

TinyCad - V_Battery: import doesn't show pin nums
Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:04am

Hi, looking forward to using this.

Having a bit of trouble with understanding the battery symbol when I put it into a schematic in TinyCad.  I have imported all of the V_* libraries into TinyCad.  I can wire up the devices, one of which is a BAT_1CELL_2PIN (just using for learning how to do export/import).  When I get to VeeCad and import the netlist, everything is there.  But, when I drag the components onto the strips, most show their wires, but the battery does not.  It doesn't show any pins, and the shape of the battery thing doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before for a battery symbol: it's kinda U shaped, with the U up.  It appears to have a single pad on it, but since there's no pinout, I can't tell if that's positive or negative.  I've tried connecting wires to it and connecting it to components, but sometimes I get a wire that's red, but most of the time I just get a black wire. 

How do I determine where the connections on this U shaped thing are, and which are positive and which are negative?  On TinyCad, it shows pins 1 & 2 for the V_Battery BAT_1CELL_2PIN, but in VeeCad, nothing like that appears.  I've also tried all of the various other batteries, but to no avail.

Also, when I click 'help', it gives me the top layer of entries, but nothing deeper into the tree than that.

Thanks!

BBQ

IP Logged

BBQ
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Re: TinyCad - V_Battery: import doesn't show pin nums
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:06am

Also, wanted to add, I'm running this under wine.

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:31pm

Welcome to the forum, BBQ!

If you click on your battery cell symbol in TinyCAD, you will see in the Tool Window that it has a package attribute of "BATTERY_PCB". None of the VeeCAD libraries contains an outline with that name, hence the "U" shaped dummy outline after import. If you go Board -> Outlines on the VeeCAD menu and select "BATTERY_PCB" in the list, you can edit that outline on the spot if you like, and VeeCAD will pick up the change.

Also, go Netlists -> View on the VeeCAD menu and select the "Project" tab. You should see a warning that your component does not posess the required pins 1 and 2.

The big picture view is that you need a match between TinyCAD package attributes and VeeCAD outline names. Mostly you will get a match during netlist import, but you can take care of a few "U" shaped components with an on-the-spot edit as described above. Later on, you will want to make your own TinyCAD and VeeCAD libraries with your favourite parts, but don't worry about that just yet.

The help is "context sensitive" - pressing F1 on different windows shows different help topics. You can click the little "+" signs next to the folder symbols at the left of the help viewer to expand the help tree and see the individual topics. The Wine help viewer is excellent. There is plenty of material to read in the help file.

Please post again if needed.

Roger

IP Logged

BBQ
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 3:49pm

Roger, thanks for the info.  I'll followup on my trying those details for the battery.

However, Help still doesn't work.  Pressing F1 does bring up the help screen, as does Help under Help.  If I expand 'Getting Started', I see a list, with the first being 'Introduction'.  Clicking and double-clicking on that doesn't do anything.  The same is true for the other entries as well (Tutorials, Using VeeCAD, etc) There's never any thing displayed in the right pane, regardless of what I do.  This is what I was (poorly) trying to describe in my first post.

<edited to add>: I'm on Ver 2.36 Release 2 Build 0
<edited to add>: I found and downloaded the .rtf Help, so now I have a little bit better understanding of what's going on with this product!  Taking a detailed look at the 'Outlines' section.
<edited to add>: On page 30 of help rtf, it says to press 'Alt' to stretch out the lead.  I think it should be 'Shift' to stretch out the lead.
<edited to add>: On page 50, it says "If you click the Draw Connection Errors button".  I think it should say "If you click the Draw Net Errors button".

Thanks and will update in a few,

BBQ
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2017 at 6:33pm by BBQ »  

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:05pm

The Wine help viewer hh.exe here exhibits some deficiencies, but it is perfect for selecting topics from the left hand "tree" and displaying them properly in the right hand pane. I am testing on Xubuntu 16.04 with Wine 1.6.2.

I am curious as to the Linux distribution and version you are running, as well as the Wine version. Almost certainly you have a hh.exe bug which will be fixed soon. Nothing special about the VeeCAD help file - it is produced by the Windows help compiler.

Worth noting that there are other CHM help viewers for Linux apart from the hh.exe that comes with Wine.

Roger

IP Logged

BBQ
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 6:12pm

Roger,
I'm running Ubuntu 16.10, and wine-1.8.5 (Ubuntu 1.8.5-1ubuntu1)

Thanks,
BBQ

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 12:07pm

I installed wine 1.8.5 under Ubuntu 16.10 and like you, saw nothing in the right hand pane of the help viewer. I tried wine 2.0 and the the help viewer worked properly.

I followed the "Install Wine 2.0 (regular)" from here: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/01/install-wine-2-0-ubuntu-16-04-14-04-...

Roger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print