Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
G-code Users - Comments invited (Read 1191 times)
Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
G-code Users - Comments invited
Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:41pm

VeeCAD now creates a G-code file for users who want to use a CNC mill for track cutting.
  • On the VeeCAD menu, go "Tools -> G-code".
  • You must read the help file topic "Using  VeeCAD -> G-code" to find where to zero your cutter.
  • The G-code generator is highly configurable, so please read the help file.
  • If something is wrong in the help file or the generated G-code, please comment here or by email.
  • I need to hear if the code is suitable for your needs.

Roger

IP Logged

dsimsj
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Re: G-code Users - Comments invited
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 2:33pm

Hi Roger,
Due to the words limitation here in the comments I've attached my comments etc in the attached pdf.
Best Regards
Dave

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 9:47am

Brilliant response Dave.

I will need some time to digest your report, but I am encouraged that the thing actually worked!

I can see that portrait / landscape  orientation is required, and a tweak of the other settings. I will try to include your cutter and operation recommendations in the help file. I think you are saying that a small diameter cutter must move more slowly than a wider one.

If you don't mind, I might put your pictures in the help file - I don't have my own pictures because I don't run a mill. Would you mind posting your G-CodeConfig.txt configuration file, or email it to me.

Many thanks for your help.

Roger

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:52am

Hi Roger & Dave,
I would caution against making the G-code too specific to any brand of mill. I think that the parameters for speed, size of cutter and setup of zero position etc. should be left to the individual user. For instance a lot of the settings that you would like to change would not suit for someone running Mach3 or Mach4 and those settings would be much more mainstream than those required for GRBL. A few minutes with a good text editor should fix any specific settings that you require.

I believe that as long as the main movements remain correct that you shouldn't worry about the "setup" commands. I use a vee point tool and cut the tracks between the holes, and I don't have any problems with height as the strip-board that I use is flat and the accuracy of my mill doesn't cause any problems either.
Regards,
Hamilton

IP Logged

HELLI
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Ireland
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:08pm

Hi Dave,
In your attachment you have written "The necessity to align the board as accurately as possible to the machine’s XY axes is vital if the cuts are to be placed accurately. To state the rather obvious, the further away a cut is made from the XY home position the more pronounced any error becomes due to XY misalignment."

This is not correct. If you do not have your home position correctly set then any movements will not be more pronounced. Any point will be displaced the same amount that you were off in setting the XY zero position. If you do find that the error increases this could be caused by the board not being square to either or both axes. Another possible reason is that your machine is not set properly in the number of steps per distance moved.
Regards,
Hamilton

IP Logged

dsimsj
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:28pm

Hi Hamilton,
"If you do find that the error increases this could be caused by the board not being square to either or both axes"

That was exactly what I was trying to say, sorry if it didn't come across that way.

With regard to your earlier post I would tend to agree that modifying the Config file is easy enough and there is no need to make it too machine specific. I do, however, think that the number of Arduino/GRBL setups may well form a fairly large slice of the cheaper (hobby?) end of the market.

Regards
Dave

IP Logged

dsimsj
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:55pm

Hi Roger,

Glad you found my notes useful.

I'll attach my Config file to this post and yes I'm more than happy for you to use my pictures - let me know if you'd like them in any other format.

Re the size of cutter - I don't think that you actually specified one anywhere in the Help file. For me, as I said, a 1mm end mill seemed optimum, but as he posted Hamilton likes to use a conical cutter and he has no problems with board flatness; so each to his own I guess.
And again the spindle speed suits my setup, whether it is theoretically correct for a 1mm cutter I don't know - my guess is that it could be much faster because as with drills the smaller the diameter the higher the RPM can be to achieve the same material cutting speed as a larger drill rotating more slowly.
Regards
Dave

G-CodeConfig.txt (0 KB | 37 )

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:32am

Thanks for the input, Hamilton and Dave

So far, I think the message is:
  • Advise users to accurately square up the board.
  • Mention conical and end-mill cutters.
  • Leave the slow movement speeds and advise users to alter as desired, but to start slow if unsure.
  • Reduce the "up" distance to 5mm.
  • Cut slightly deeper than 0.03mm - perhaps 0.05mm
  • Share config files supplied by users, on the website, or installed with VeeCAD, described by mill type and software program.
  • Offer portrait and landscape settings.
Any advice or warnings on the above, or does it sound OK?

Roger

IP Logged

dsimsj
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:27am

Hi Roger,

Yes I think that pretty much covers it as far a I'm concerned.
I think those that have a mill and have used it fairly extensively, particularly if they've made PCBs, will have a pretty good idea of what suits their set up.
However, for those who see this new feature in VeeCad and think that they'll get a machine to use it on, then as much guidance as possible is good as the learning curve with these machines is quite steep if you've never had anything to do with CNC before.

I like the idea of publishing config file / machine type examples - I think newbies will find those most useful.

Regards
Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print