Send Topic Print
Metric stripboard (Read 57 times)
dcb
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

sk23
Metric stripboard
Sep 30th, 2019 at 6:42pm

I came across a piece of stripboard in my gander bag with the holes at 2.50mm spacing rather than the usual 2.54mm.

Not a massive difference but it can be problematic if you don't realise and drill mounting holes on 1/10" pitch.

Does anybody know where this might have come from, because I can't remember buying it?

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Ocean Grove, Australia
Re: Metric stripboard
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 1:48am

Hi David

Vero make 2.5mm pitch boards. A lot of parts are metric these days - terminal blocks, connectors, surface mount and through hole parts, but the through hole ICs are imperial pitch. If you had metric terminal blocks and some analog wiring, the metric board would be OK.

I worked at a place where we put screw terminal blocks on PCBs. You had to distinguish between 2.5 and 2.54 mm pin pitch. You could push in a 2 pin block regardless, but for longer blocks you had to get the right part.

Roger

IP Logged

dcb
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

sk23
Re: Metric stripboard
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 9:49am

Roger Lascelles wrote on Oct 1st, 2019 at 1:48am:
Hi David

Vero make 2.5mm pitch boards. A lot of parts are metric these days - terminal blocks, connectors, surface mount and through hole parts, but the through hole ICs are imperial pitch. If you had metric terminal blocks and some analog wiring, the metric board would be OK.

I worked at a place where we put screw terminal blocks on PCBs. You had to distinguish between 2.5 and 2.54 mm pin pitch. You could push in a 2 pin block regardless, but for longer blocks you had to get the right part.

It used to amuse me that the industry used to distinguish between hard metric which meant metric and soft metric which meant imperial but marked in metric.

At one time you could get convertible terminal block.  They had a softish divider and a strong squeeze would push them down from 2.54 to 2.5.

A lesson learned to check what I am buying.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print