Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
VeeCAD Stripboard Editor

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TinyCAD / VeeCAD New symbols (Read 402 times)
RussC
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

TinyCAD / VeeCAD New symbols
Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:23pm

I am a new user of TinyCAD & VeeCAD. I have created my first board layout for a simple ic based charging circuit and found the programs very simple and intuitive to use.
I am now on my second circuit and need to create a new symbol and footprint for the TinyCAD schematic and the VeeCAD layout. I can create a symbol in TinyCAD and a Footprint in VeeCAD but can't figure how to combine the two and save as a new library component.
I've been struggling for about 3 days now!

IP Logged

Roger Lascelles
Administrator

Clifton Springs, Australia
Re: TinyCAD / VeeCAD New symbols
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:21am

Welcome to the forum, Russ.

VeeCAD uses the standard method to link schematic symbol and board component. The model is not obvious, so please interrogate me as you please.

Your TinyCAD schematic symbol and VeeCAD outline exist separately and never meet up. A TinyCAD symbol is stored in a TinyCAD *.dsn schematic or TinyCAD *.TCLib library. A VeeCAD outline is stored in a VeeCAD *.per project or in a VeeCAD *.per library.

In your TinyCAD symbol set the "Package" attribute to the name of the outline you will be using in VeeCAD. When VeeCAD imports the netlist, it will search the registered outline libraries and grab the first outline that has the matching name and copy it into your project.

So when you make a new TinyCAD symbol, set the package attribute to a name from a VeeCAD library, or give it a new name  if the correct outline does not exist in a library.

Practical advice - you definitely need your own TinyCAD library to hold your new symbol. Don't make a VeeCAD library yet, but make any new outlines on the spot, as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DCBtyJGsQ . You can transfer new outlines into your own library later on.

Electronic CAD gives you a "factory" for turning ideas into built circuits. It's worth setting up your "factory" if you will use it multiple times.

Roger

IP Logged

RussC
YaBB Newbies

Your message here...

Re: TinyCAD / VeeCAD New symbols
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:19pm

Thanks. Explanation understood. I just had a mental block that I couldn't get past. Now I am planning my next circuit (first circuit awaiting parts to arrive).  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print